The vast majority of families must know what Alzheimer’s is, but there are many questions about this disease that should be answered: can it be cured when someone suffers from it?, what are its causes?, can we prevent it somehow? Unfortunately, science is still quite away from answering them so, in this blog, we are going to summarize what we know now.
Studies have concluded that it is possible to cut the chances of developing the disease by up to a third even when there is a genetic predisposition. Only 1% of Alzheimer’s cases have been shown to be related to genetic inheritance. That means that the other 99% of cases, despite the fact that much remains to be discovered about this disease, originate from other factors such as lifestyle.
As you can imagine, genetic factors are part of us and cannot be changed. That is why, today, on GreenVita’s blog, we are going to explain some habits that can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by up to 30%.
Let start with sport! Regular, non-explosive physical exercise improves cognitive function so aerobic exercise is recommended to maintain our memory and processing speed.
Second, we will emphasize the importance of social relationships, since they are linked to self-efficacy and self-esteem, which, in turn, improve our mental function. A more active social integration serves to reduce the stress of daily life and promote health.
Third, mental stimulation must continue beyond studies. Reading books and playing board games is great for our brain, avoid cognitive deterioration and dementia if they are performed regularly.
Fourth, Alzheimer’s prevention also involves the cardiovascular field, with a crucial role in mental decline. Alzheimer’s can be accompanied by high blood pressure or diabetes so, taking care of our heart is always a good idea!
Fifth, the diet! It should be noted that, as the main enemies, we have the consumption of saturated fat and copper, since they significantly increase cognitive deterioration. The opposite is a rich diet, specially in antioxidants, vitamin C, E and omega 3, true balms for the mind.
And to wrap up this checklist… motivation! It is essential to have enthusiasm for living, enjoying life, being happy…. It has been shown that not having goals or motivations causes the brain to deteriorate at a much higher rate, reaching the point that loss of interest and emotions is something that manifests itself in the vast majority of people who begin to suffer from Alzheimer’s.
So, time to enjoy Greenviters! Don’t lose your motivation!